Yoga and Home Remedies For Gas And Bloating
Stomach gas doesn’t get discussed as much as it should be, as it is quite embarrassing! But it can be quite a major problem, causing belching (burping), flatulence (frequent passing of gas), bloating and stomach pain. No worries, there are some ways to fix it!
People often believe normal passage of gas to be excessive. Most people pass gas about 14 times a day, but passing gas up to 20 times a day is still considered normal.
Why does stomach gas form and how does it increase?
- Poor digestion: Normal breakdown of certain foods by harmless bacteria naturally present in the large intestine produces gas. Dietary fiber, certain vegetables like broccoli and beans, artificial sweeteners and soft drinks can cause bloating.
- Intolerance to certain food types: Some people are intolerant to lactose (milk sugar) and fructose (fruit sugar) and this intolerance too can cause gas.
How can we reduce the excess stomach gas?
- Wind-Relieving Pose (Pavanamuktasana or the gas release posture): A very powerful pose at that helps entire digestive system, where one lies on the back and pulls the knees upto the head and chest, raising the head at the same time.
- Half Gas Release pose ?(Ardha Pawanmuktasana) – Similar, but instead of bending both the legs, bend one leg.
- Easy gas release pose (Sulabh Pawanmuktasana) – Similar again, but the head remains on the floor instead of lifting it for those who find this pose difficult.
- Kneeling down and placing your buttocks on your feet, this pose promotes healthy digestion and prevents gas trouble.
In yoga therapy, agnisara kriya is recommended for most digestive problems, obesity, toning kidneys, colon and small intestines.
What should you drink?
Green tea or ginger tea is a big help! Drink lemon juice or other citrus fruit juice. Eno and baking soda in hot water help as well. Aerated beverages are a big no-no.
What should you eat?
Mustard, turmeric, cloves and cardamom are known to aid good digestion. Adding ginger to your food will offer quick relief! Papayas will help you get rid of that gas the fastest. Cooked beans cause less gas than undercooked beans. Yoghurt & probiotics help digestion.
Follow these few simple remedies and you will find your body and stomach much lighter!